RE:Herald + GT6 = Vitesse

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Herald + GT6 = Vitesse
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 11:35:34 PDT
Andy Mace probably knows better than I, but I
think the Vitesse chassis is different from
the Herald at the front. The installation of
the six cyl engine necessitated moving the rad
forward quite a bit and the cross member that
supports the bonnet hinges and the lower valance
and front bumper was also moved forward. The
front panel of the bonnet is of a different design
to make it thinner. Don't know how much a Herald
frame would have to be altered to work. Keep
your eyes open for a Vitesse being parted out.

My idea of the "ultimate Herald". Start with
a Sports Six (US version of Vitesse 1600 convertible)
fit GT6+ engine and gearbox w/ OD, 3.89 GT6 diff.
Uprated front springs w/ Spax shocks and GT6 disc
brakes. At the rear, GT6 half shafts and brakes
w/ a John Kipping swing spring conversion and
Spax shocks.

I am in the (slow) process of building the above
car. After driving Steve Hedke's Sports Six uprated
with a 2 litre, I had to have one.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger
Redondo Beach, Ca.