Ignition Timing and Overheating

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition Timing and Overheating
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 23:18:37 -0400
I put the first 100 miles on Puerquito (65 Spit with 1500 motor) since the
motor went in.  Made a bunch of adjustments.  But ran into a couple of
problems.

First, the 10 degrees BTDC timing does not seem to work well.  Way too
retarded still.  Seems to contribute to motor overheating.  The cam is a 270
duration.  CR is 9.6 to 1.  Should I be using a different timing on such a
cam?  How do I determine correct timing ?

Second, the motor seems to overheat.  Slow around town driving is OK.  But on
the freeway it boils over.  I have a 160 degree thermostat and the full width
Spitfire radiator installed.  Temperature seems commensurate with engine rpm
and load.

Would running too rich cause overheating?  I am running a Weber down draught,
but there are no signs of over rich mixture.

BTW,  the engine is VERY robust!  Haven't even tested the upper range on the
rev counter yet, but it seems to want to get up there fast and do its work!

See you on the road (hopefully not at the side of the road.)

Brian N

79 Spitfire
65 Spitfire
63 Consul Capri