Re: All Scions-Rod failure?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: All Scions-Rod failure?
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 23:18:24 -0600
Hey Cap',
 From what you describe, there is more than one possibility responsible
for the "knocking" sound you are getting.
 I have been thinking in terms of a bad rod, but the engine has so few
miles on it (1,000).
 Could be that when the engine was stopped, the oil drained away from
certain bearings, and letting one or more rust, but this is pretty far
fetched.
 Unless you did the gudgeon (rod/piston) pins, this is more likely the
culprit.
 Could also be that one rod cap has loosened or was not torqued
properly. I'm guessing loosened.( Don't want to insult your engine
prowess).
 Another possibility, although unlikely, is a worn pilot bushing,
allowing the input shaft of the transmixer to shake with a knocking
sound.
 I would think that at this point, it would be worthwhile to drop the
pan and manually check the rod AND main caps. While you are in it, drop
the rear main cap and check the thrust washer(s).
 An engine noise is difficult to diagnose. In some rare instances, it
can be as simple as cam timing, but we're trying
Regards,
Tony
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com