Re: All Scions-Rod failure?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: All Scions-Rod failure?
From: captainzoso@juno.com (Captain Page)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:06:53 EDT
Tony/Dave and all-

>Cap't. Page,
> Compression test not likely to be of any help when trying to diagnose
>a bad rod.
> Query???
> Is the "knock" constant with a regular rythm?
***Yes.
> Does it also increase in speed as rpms increase but not change in tone?
***Yes
> If so, odds are very high a rod is going.
> Start the car, run at idle only. Use a long socket extension or
>engine stethescope and "listen" at the base of the block just above the
>oil pan, directly below each spark plug.  If the knocking becomes more
>pronouced at >one spot, you have located the culprit.
> I would suggest you NOT give the engine much in the way of RPMs. If a
>rod is indeed bad, high rpms can throw a rod through the block if it
>comes apart.  Sounds like rings, rod bearings and mains are in order.

***Can a rod go by just sitting...maybe I should ask...What causes rods
***go bad? Engine rebuilt with new valves and pistons was less than 1,000
***miles ago (6 years ago)! Does this information change my problem?

> An engine that is allowed to sit idle for long periods can develope
>seized rings and corroded valves and guides from lack of lubrication.
> Is it possible that the car sat for nine months because of a bad rod?

***No, not bad rod.  Bad vaccume connection I did and I couldn't start
the
***car.  Now thanks to Ken's guidance I started the car, but and now have
***this problem.

> Hate to sound like the eternal pessimist, but why take chances.
>Blocks are very costly.

***Agree.  That's why I think I'm hesitant to run the car again without
having the ***mechanic there to hear the problem...agree?

>I second that opinion, and would go even further.  With an unknown
>quantity like this, I'd tear it down completely.  With it knocking
>that badly, I'd also be worried about bent rods, scuffed bores, etc.  Or
it
>could be a dropped valve getting hammered by the piston.  Take it
>apart and check _everything_.

***I think I'll settle for a dropped valve.  Is that possible given my
symptoms?

Tony-pickedup your second reply, I'm not in it yet!!!  Trying to
determine if I need to open it up!  Oh boy...I hope I don't have to.

***Any more additional information would help.   Thanks folks.

Captain Page