Re: unleaded fuel for TR6?

To: "Lars G. Johnsen" <lars.johnsen@hd.uib.no>
Subject: Re: unleaded fuel for TR6?
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 11:41:10 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Lars:
Glad to hear things are going well with your new toy. As far as the
unleaded fuel is concerned, 1974 may be one of the first years for its
availability. (It's been a long time and my memory is not so good.) I am
quite certain that no provision was made for unleaded fuels as to the
valves or seats. This leaves you with two options: You can leave the head
alone and someday have a valve job that will include hardened seats, or get
hardened seats now and know you have taken care of the problem. There is,
of course, the third approach, which I have taken. I know that I will drive
my car only 2500 miles a year. At this rate it will be many years before I
have a problem with the valves, so I saved several hundred dollars when the
engine was rebuilt and went with the stock seats. I use good quality, high
octane fuel at all times. Hope this helps.

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951