Re: Spitfire clutch

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire clutch
From: Julian Daley <j.daley@umds.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 10:00:11 +0100 (bst)
Cc: Nickbk@aol.com
On Thu, 5 Sep 1996 01:39:41 -0400 Nickbk@aol.com wrote:
>>Sometimes the clutch
>>won't fully disengage and you have to hold the car on the brake and bash
>>the gear lever out of gear.
>
>Sounds like you are not getting a full throw on the release bearing. This can
>be caused by several hydraulic problems, but you seem to have replaced the
>obvious ones. The only one you have overlooked is the rubber hydraulic hose
>between the master and slave cylinders.

The connecting pipe is a copper one on my car.  And I've changed it
anyway !

>If this is not your problem, look at all the clevis joints on the linkage. A
>little play in each one will add up to enough play to cause your problem.

That's worth checking.

>If niether of these suggestions fix the problem, remember...you didn't hear
>it here.

Who said that ? :)

Thanks to all the people who have suggested I go back and recheck the
sleeve the release bearing runs on.  I'll strip it out over the weekend
and have a _really_ good look at it.

Julian.
          Julian Daley, Dept. Clinical Physics, Guy's Hospital, London