blowers, etc

Subject: blowers, etc
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@mailhost.scala.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 17:59:08 EDT
Vincenti, Ross writes:
> Undid the rags and lo and behold I was staring at an old Roots type
>blower with manifolds that was obviously set up for a small LBC  motor!!

>Amazingly the manifold was almost a perfect fit on the Spitfire Mk I
>cylinder head!!!!!  It may take a little filing and grinding, but it should
>fit and looks as though it was designed for just this type of installation.

        More likely a Judson, Shorrock, or All... (I forget the name).  I think
all of these are vane-type superchargers (perhaps one is a screw-type).

        It might be for an A-series engine (Mini or Spridget - the All...
(Allard?  nah) supercharger mentioned above was a 'standard' dealer-installed
option on early 948 and probably some later sprites.

        I have an OLD (mid-late 60's) general BC maintenance/tuning book that
has cutaways of these, hints on how to set them up, and measurements of
increased HP.

        I was once offered one in '81 by a college-auto-shop buddy who knew
of one for a Sprite for sale for a few hundred.  I wish I'd taken it; I
didn't because the car in question had an iffy, oil-burning engine I didn't
have the time/ money to rebuild.

>Now for the best part, it's mine for free if I want it, and all of my
>hotrodding neighbors are salivating at the thought of helping me put a
>blower on the Spitfire motor.  Will I do it?  Not sure.  On the one hand,
>the drivetrain, brakes, etc. will all be stock and will no doubt be
>overstressed by a blown motor.

        Not majorly, but some.  These don't add major amounts of boost,
especially compared to a car with a cam/porting job (which has already
improved breathing).

>This could be really interesting.  So, what's the consensus?  Thumbs up for
>a blown motor or thumbs down?

        Go for it.

>Well, thanks to all who have responded to my informal poll about the blower
>(which appears not to be a Roots type, but a Shorrock type vane blower).  I
>think I need to research this thing a little more to verify exactly what it
>is. Anybody have any good ideas as to books/materials which discuss old
>blowers??

        I'll try to bring in my book and summarize.  Send me a fax number
and perhaps I can fax the pages to you.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com