Re: Squealing Spitfire- Help!

To: amurchi@quetico.tbaytel.net
Subject: Re: Squealing Spitfire- Help!
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 20:25:25 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< Hello
 I'm really hoping that someone out there can help me.  I have just
 finished a head gasket replacement on my Spitfire.  After fitting
 both manifolds (my most hated job), adjusting valve clearances
 refilling the oil and coolant, I started it up.  I'm now faced with a
 car that starts, idles, and accelerates fine.  Problem?  The Spit now
 has a pronounced high piched squeal when the throttle is partly
 depressed while clutch is engaged i.e. when I'm travelling at any
 steady speed - no acceleration or deceleration.  Under any medium-hard
 acceleration the car is fine.
 Some other info:
 Oil was changed after head gasket replaced -some coolant had spilled
 into engine.
 Sound is coming from the rear of the engine (I think)
 Car is running twin Webers >>

Andy,

Does the sound change if you push in the clutch pedal? Maybe the throw out
bearing is going out.

Try putting a mechanics stethoscope (about $8-10 locally) on the alternator
and water pump. One of those bearings could be going bad. The sound would
change with the fan belt speed.

Hope that helps,
Charlie B.