FW: Front Trunnion Lube

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: Front Trunnion Lube
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 18:12:20 -0600
VI>I am re-sending this as it did not post the first time as far as I could
VI>tell.

VI>Before I put the rims on the front and rear axles and set the rolling frame
VI>down to tighten everything up on my Mk I Spitfire restoration I forgot to
VI>lube the front trunnions.  I read somewhere that one should use gear oil,
VI>NOT grease to fill the trunnions.  Is this true?  If so, why?  Everything on
VI>the front suspension is still loose so it will be an easy task to undo the
VI>A-arm bolt, remove the trunnions and fill them, but I am curious about the
VI>proper lube.  Thanks.

VI>Ross D. Vincenti
VI>64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery

Ross,
 True, all the books say "oil". They purposely mean but do not say
Hypoid oil.
 I have had good luck with general purpose waterproof lithium grease. It
is light weight and lasts a long time. DO NOT USE WHITE LITHIUM GREASE.
 I also use this grease in the steering rack.
 When you put it in the steering rack, be sure to loosen the dust boots
to let excess pressure escape.
Regards,
Tony
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com