Re: FW: Front Trunnion Lube

To: VINCENR@transamerica.com
Subject: Re: FW: Front Trunnion Lube
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 21:06:11 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
<<I read somewhere that one should use gear oil,
NOT grease to fill the trunnions.  Is this true?  If so, why?>>

Ross,

I think the reason they want you to use gear oil instead of grease is that
the screw threads inside the trunions need lubrication over the entire
threaded portion. Grease in this application can develop air pockets which
will starve parts of the threaded load bearing surfaces of lubrication.
 Heavy oil "fills" the trunion housing, allowing the air to escape out the
top, thus providing full thread lubrication.

Just a concept, never seen it in writing anywhere.
Charlie B.