Re:Oil Press. Rolondo's ...Rebuild?

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re:Oil Press. Rolondo's ...Rebuild?
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@cris.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 20:53:07 -0700
Cc: Rolando Benitez <rbenitez@c.net.gt>, triumphs@autox.team.net

> Rolando Benitez wrote:
>
> >  I am facing problems with
> > low oil pressure after warm up, it is only 500 miles after overhaul,...
>
> >         * * *
>
> > They changed everything but the oil pump, in other words, they (the shop)
> > changed pistons, valves, bearings (all), gaskets(all), washers,
> > connecting rods, they rectified the block, top and valve's seats.
> > Rolando

Rolando,

    What kind of shop rebiulds an engine without replacing the oil
pump? There are many hypothesis you could test to isolate the cause
of your low oil pressure problem, but you shouldn't have to do this.
I would complain loudly and often to the manager of the place. This
sort of admission by them (who knows what else they "skipped" on this
rebuild) just shows their negligence. To leave out this critical com-
ponent is akin to taking a shower and putting all new clothes but re-
wearing the same dirty under pants!
   If the rebuild was specified as a complete engine overhaul, then
they should be held accountable, as this was an incompletely done job.
   When  standard bearing shells are installed on a turned down crank,
there usually is an audible engine knock. Where I work, we received
just such an engine (albeit the engine was a 477 cu. in. Ford L800
gas truck engine) and it was rapping quite loudly. Causes I suspect
are: tired oil pump; poor machining of crank (journals turned too small);
worn out spring or sticking piston in oil pressure relief system; or
metal filings left in the oil galleries wearing things out.
   Remember, youpaid for an engine overhaul, not a temporary 500 mile patch-up.
Give'em hell...I would. If that dosen't work, just tell us (the list)
(like that guy who got burned Sports and Classics) and we'll know where
 not to take our business...

                             JOE IV
                             TR 250
P.S.  I'm not always this mean ;)