Re: TIRES - TR3

To: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Subject: Re: TIRES - TR3
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 09:35:59 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Angelo Graham wrote:

> >snip
> >>Or,  am I better off sticking to the 165's?
> >> Thanks for any direction or advice.

Carl Musson replied:

> >The 165's will rub frame/fender on full turn.  Anything larger will do so
> >even more.  I personnaly wouldn't want to try it.

and Rik added:

> I've been running 165's on my TR3A for the last 6 years...
> I have been autocrossing the car regularly the entire
> time Ive owned it, and I really push it, taking first in class at VTR96
> and at most of our club events. If 165's don't rub under those conditions,
> I can't imagine how they would in street driving. I've never heard, felt or
> seen any evidence of my 165's rubbing.

I'd have to agree with that. One, I've seen Rik drive his TR3A. ;-) Two,
many years ago I had Dunlop Gold Seal 6.85 x 15 bias-plies on my TR3A, a
much fatter tire than a 165 x 15 radial. No problems with them either.
More recently, and mostly because they were lying around my garage, I
mounted a set of Michelin X 165-380/165 x 15s on my Mayflower. Again, no
problems, although that car was never "competitively exercised" in any
way! :-)

> The other thing mentioned is the suggestion that Michelin will be producing
> 155-15 radials in the future....

155, of course, was the original size optional Michelin radial for most
of the TR2-TR3 range. My guess is that if Michelin is reintroducing such
as size, it might well be an original-style "X" radial, which would be
great for shows and perfectly acceptable on the street for "normal"
driving. Those wishing to push their cars a bit more probably would be
better off with a "modern" 165 tire.

The other advantage of the 165 is that I believe it would be closer in
overall diameter to the original 5.50/5.90 x 15 bias ply tire, so you,
er, don't have to worry about, ha ha, speedometer error. The 155
Michelin option was originally paired with a different speedometer,
judging from parts book reference.

And, yeah, Carl, those 155s do look awfully puny!

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *