RE: Spitfire Transmission problems

To: "'Ralph Jannelli'" <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Transmission problems
From: Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 20:46:43 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
----------
From:   Ralph Jannelli[SMTP:rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net]
>>To:   triumphs@autox.team.net
>>Subject:      Spitfire Transmission problems

>>I need some info - I have a line on a rebuilt Spitfire 1500 (single rail)
>>transmission with overdrive for a reasonable price. What is involved in
>>changing over my MKIV to accept this tranny? The MKIV has the 10 spline
>>input shaft the 1500 has the 20 spline shaft, I know I will need the 20
>>spline clutch plate and I believe larger pressure plate since the 1500
>>clutch is larger diameter. Will the pressure plate bolt to the flywheel I
>>have in the MKIV (1300cc engine vs 1500cc)? Or do I need to replace the
>>flywheel as well? I know I will have to have the drive shaft shortened how
>>do I find out how much? Do I need to mount the trans and measure it? How do
>>I measure it? Or does some one have the measurements they could supply to
>>me? Also is the tranny output flange from the 1500 the same as the MKIV?
>>Does anyone have an OD drive shaft to sell me (cheap)? Also the tranny does
>>not have a shift lever does anyone have a 1500 tranny OD shifter (the on
>>with the OD switch on it) for sale? I think I can fabricate the needed
>>wiring harness but I'll also need a relay. Any advice or help would be
>>greatly appreciated.
>>Ralph Jannelli
>>'72 Spitfire MKIV daily driver
>>'65 Spitfire MKII freshly restored

Ralphy boy, you're in luck!,

        I Have just finished the exact process you are about to embark upon.
Warning!...Before you start, get the Kipping and Rimmer Bros. catalogs as
they  will have all you need.  Rimmer has the shifter and knob.  Kipping has
the clutch
parts.  They both have the mount.  I wish I had checked with Kipping for the
twenty spline 6.5" driven
plate, I didn't even know such an animal existed, no thanks to all the stateside
vendors.  If John Kipping says you can use the 6.5" plate, (his catalog says
21-spline)
then I'd go with that.  Otherwise you will have to change flywheels as the bolt
pattern on the 7.25" clutch plate is markedly different.  I went to numerous
wrecking yards
before I found the prop shaft.  You can get remanufactured ones from all the
big suppliers,
Rimmer and Kipping included.  I would recommend doing this and saving your old
one
 as you may want to switch back to the standard 4-speed someday and you then
will  still have all you need.  This comes in handy if it's your daily driver
as is mine,
I can't afford any prolonged down time.  Regarding shaft length, (contrary to
the womens
magazines, length DOES matter), your current prop shaft in a standard 72 1296cc
motor with  3-rail 4-speed is 41.25" long.  Depending on what year your new
tranny is,
you will need either a 37" or 38" shaft (the difference being post 74 has
single rail trans
which calls for the 37").  I'm inclined to believe you have the later model,
since your
shifter seems to be gone.  The single rail shifter pops right out, the three
rail bolts to linkage.
Anyway you can check the plate on the side of the O/D unit for the date.

This is getting too long for the general list, feel free to contact me directly
if (or when) you
have further questions

Chris "damn, 6 speeds is fun" Prugh