Re: Spitfire 1500 coil problem?

To: peb3@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 coil problem?
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:52:42 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net

> My first reaction to your problem is to say that this testing fault is not
> your problem at all. Why should you be concerned if the machine is unable
> to control your car?

  I think the concern is that, if the car is functioning correctly, you
should be able to kill the ignition by grounding the coil (BTW, this is an
easy way to make a quick and dirty kill switch.) That should be pretty
universally true and it's definately true of a standard Spit 1500.  It's
easy enough to confirm that it's really a problem with the car and not the
machine the guy had- just attach a length of wire to the positive terminal
on the coil, start the car, and then touch the loose end of the wire to the
engine, body or any other ground point.  That should kill the car.

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation
                                        '74 MGB, '76 Spit