Re: Door Check Strap <Macintosh */PRMD=MOT/ADMD=MOT/C=US/@MH

To: "Richard Ceraldi-ERC004" <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Door Check Strap <Macintosh */PRMD=MOT/ADMD=MOT/C=US/@MHS>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 13:34:51 -0400
Cc: SCOATES@AOAC.ORG, triumphs@autox.team.net
"Richard Ceraldi-ERC004" wrote:

> For under $20 you can get a new part with the rubber seal and associated
> mounting stuff (VB, TRF, Moss, etc). I know on a GT6 this assembly also
> includes the spring clip that keeps the door in the open position.  Seeing
> the stuff that comes off parted out cars I don't see why you would want a
> questionable used one. How much do you think you can save? Enough to pay for
> the chipped paint when the door closes on the seatbelt because the
> replacement was worn out?

Just to add some more fuel to the fire here, I have seen many TR6s for sale
with a "door crease" from the door being opened up all the way when the
door check strap was missing or broken.

When the TR6 door is opened up too far, without a door check strap, a neat,
vertical crease will be put in the door, approximately 1.5" from the front
edge of the door.  If you're lucky, it won't break the paint, and you're
looking at the possibility of a "touchless" dent repair from a shop that
does this, probably for about $100.  In some cases, not only the door will
be creased, but the front fender will be bent back as well...

If the paint cracks, or you get a deep crease, you're looking at around
$100 worth of body work on the door, plus the door will have to be
repainted.  Depending on how well you want the paint to match on the car,
and your immunity to "shipwright's disease", you may be looking at
over $1500 to repaint the whole car...  :-) :-)

I would suggest you fix the door check strap ASAP, and the part is widely
available.  (Largely because it is so commonly broken...)

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631