Re: TR3: starter motor trouble - part 2

To: anders@ull.biomeklab.aau.dk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3: starter motor trouble - part 2
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:17:12 -0400
Cc: BFEKENG@aol.com

>Thanks to those, who responded to my first postin. The starter motor on my
1956 TR3 has failed. When pushing the starter button, the motor runs
willingly, but it doesn't turn the engine.

>As some of you guessed, the rubber coupling (between the shaft and the
spiral
>gear, which throws the pinion into the flywheel ring gear) has failed.
>
>Someone suggested, that I simply welded over the rubber part of the
coupling.
>My concern if, of course, that the shocks, which will occur as the starter
>engages, will harm the rest of the starter motor or the flywheel.
>
>Does anyone have experience or opinions on eliminating the function of the
>rubber coupling? Is the rubber coupling only the result of over-cautious
design
>(apparently, there's no rubber coupling on a number of other types of
starter motors)?

Anders:

I believe Ken Gillander of British Frame and Engine in California has a
updated coupling that takes care of this problem once and for all.  His price
list has a "TR2 - TR3 Hi-Tec starter drive for 'long' closed end starters" at
$48.00 each.

I've never seen one, but I've heard they are a direct replacement for the old
one and should take care of the problem.

I have no connection to them other than a satisfied customer...Ken's be
around TRs for an awfully long time and is always eager to help keep an old
one going.

His price list has an email address: BFE KEN G@aol.com
Phone is 818-443-0939

Hope this helps,