Re: GT6+ Progress/WTB

To: Tomstory <tomstory@slip.net>
Subject: Re: GT6+ Progress/WTB
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 00:08:37 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tomstory wrote:

> What would people suggest I weld with MIG or Gas? It's all
> non-structural cosmetics, but I have no experience welding at all.
> Suggestions?

If you have that much rust in that area, it would be worth checking the
frame carefully around the outriggers in that floor pan area--if the
sills and the pan are gone, there is a possibility those frames pieces
may be weak, as well.  As for the welding, if you've done no welding
before, you first need to do a _great deal_ of practice with both
methods, if possible.  Borrow someone's equipment, or take a night school
trade course first, and practice.  Most of the sheet metal you're
intending to work on is about 22 ga.  Very thin, and easily warped.  MIG
is probably easier to learn than gas for thin sheet materials.  Another
possibility is a DC stitch welder, which automatically reduces current
for portions of the cycle, and can, if used properly, minimize warpage.
You might also consider a straight DC welder with a spot-welding
attachment, since that's the way a lot of the body was put together in
the first place.
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....