those #$@% SU's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: those #$@% SU's
From: markt@ep.cursci.com (Mark Tricca)
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 07:52:57 -0400
Hi folks,
Back in May many of you had advice for me while I was in the midst of
diagnosing an unruly pair of HS2's. Well, they're at it again...

Occasionally while I'd be driving the car a strong smell of gasoline would
drift through the passenger compartment. I'd stop and check under the hood
but there would be no visible leaks. Get back in and drive and the smell is
gone. A couple of days ago I stopped to get gas, filled the tank, drove off
and smelled gas. This time the smell didn't go away. Made it home, checked
for leaks as always, except this time I ran my finger along the bottom edge
of the front air cleaner(not stock-two round, flat cleaners w/foam elements)
and discovered gasoline. As near as I can figure gasoline is leaking out of
the carb and is being absorbed by the filter element.
My first thought is that the needle valve in the front carb is getting
stuck, but during that last bout of carb ills I replaced the needle valve,
checked the float itself, set the float level at 1/2" (this cured part of
the original problem), and made sure everything moved freely before I put it
back together. The carbs were tuned about six weeks ago with a ColorTune
(running slightly rich) and Unisyn. This problem had happened periodically
before the carb tuning.
Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
MarkT in Boston