Spitfire camshafts

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire camshafts
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 96 14:16:00 PDT
Encoding: 20 TEXT
I'm about to start on the internal engine work on the Mk I Spit, and need
some advice on the cam.  (Yes, I know this thread has been explored before
by many others - I read them all and like an idiot succumbed to the "I don't
need to save those messages, I'll remember it all" syndrome).  Anyways, I
want a SLIGHTLY hotter cam and need a source.

My local machine shop advised against welding and regrinding all of the
lobes on the existing cam due to stress on the shaft of having all 8 lobes
welded, and suggested I buy a fresh, new one.  So, anybody know where I can
get a slightly hotter cam?  Please note - this is NOT a race car.  I just
want a little better breathing.  I am going to flowport the head, too, and I
don't mind a SLIGHTLY lumpy idle, but the last thing I want is a high rpm
screamer.  BTW, I'm in SoCal, but I suppose I can pay shipping if necessary
(Hell, I ordered parts from the U.K. and they arrived okay).

Thanks in advance.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)