Re: TR4 Engine Rear Main Seal

To: WDKLINE@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Engine Rear Main Seal
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 00:33:08 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Restoring an early TR4.  Now that I have the engine almost down to parade
>rest, I see there's a special tool - mandrel - that is used to locate the
>rear main oil seal.  Having built a couple of Chevy V8s I know how important
>the rear main oil seal is.  I don't see the tool listed in either Victoria
>British or the Roadster Factory catalogs.  What's the deal?  Can the rear
>main oil seal be centered on the crank without benefit of the special tool?

>I'm considering just doing rings and con rod bearings and not fooling with
>the mains or rear main seal.  The engine has low miles (50K), good
>compression, but smoked a bit and was dirtier than sin from sitting for 16
>years.  I'd rather do it all while I'm this far into it, but the thought of a
>leaky new rear main seal argues for alternatives.  (Rear main seal was not
>leaking up to this point - front crank seal at the timing chain cover another
>story entirely.)
>

>Bill in St. Louis

Bill,
 I rebuilt my 64TR4 about a year ago. Don't recall needing a "special"
tool for rear main "seal".
 The seal is not actually a seal, but a simple bit of magic. It's a metal
to metal, close tolerence fitting of a split aluminum plate that the
crank glides in.
 If you are going to pull the crank, the TR4 rear "seal" is one of the
few things you don't NEED to replace. If it wasn't leaking, and it is
properly sealed into the block, odds are it will resume its previous
performance of not leaking.
 Most of the leaks relative to the rear part of the engine are from
improper sealing of the aluminum block into the engine block and not the
main seal itself.
 Once you drop the crank, IMHO, you should plan on doing main bearings.
 Also, a must it to check the small end bushings for proper fit.
Good luck.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"