Re: TR4 Engine Rear Main Seal

To: WDKLINE@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Engine Rear Main Seal
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 19:11:26 -0400
At 9:29 PM -0400 5/27/96, WDKLINE@aol.com wrote:
>Restoring an early TR4.  Now that I have the engine almost down to parade
>rest, I see there's a special tool - mandrel - that is used to locate the
>rear main oil seal.... Anyone solved this or know where to get the mandrel
>>without taking out another mortgage?

Hi,
The rear mainseal on these critters works by magic. (ok, actually, it's a
"scroll" seal; the crankshaft basically screws the oil back into the
crankcase when it turns). Getting the seal lined up correctly is crucial to
it working well.

The easiest way to get the mandrel is to have your friendly local machinist
make one for you, or do it yourself if you have access to an accurate metal
lathe. If I remember right the dimensions are in the factory (== Bentley)
shop manual. If not, holler and I'll see if I can dig them up for you...

        -john

John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu