Re: 6 owner's comm.

To: "Van S. Griffin" <van@nucmar.physics.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: 6 owner's comm.
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 10:46:48 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>EEnthusiasts,
>        Wow, really some home hitting contributions today: The plates welded
>to the rusty frame and wheel sag.  Now if just there was a wiring harness
>story to commiserate with, I would feel complete.
>        This 6 that I have must have originally had an overdrive tranny
>installed (the rear panel has a decal stating such) but was not with the
>car when it was acquired.  Today I read a post and am wondering if any and
>how may teeth a chicken might have.  I'm guessing either they are very small
>or far and few in between.  What kind of a fix is the person who wants to
>attain one of these in.  Lots of time and money? No sig file, Van

Van:
First of all, there are two types of O/D, A and J. A's are for early cars,
up to the CF series, J's after that. What you will need to covert your car
back to an O/D is the O/D itself and either a new transmission to accept
the O/D unit or a new mainshaft to install in your present gearbox. The
mainshaft is different for O/D and non-O/D fittings. Take heart in knowing
you will not have to change the wiring harness, unless a sharp-toothed
chicken has chewed through it. What I have always wondered is this: If a
chicken-and-a-half can lay an egg-and-a-half in a day-and-a-half, how long
will it take a grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a
dill pickle?

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951