forwarded response; TR6 rear end sag

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: forwarded response; TR6 rear end sag
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 09:00:59 +0100
Hi Mike,
After reading Phil Barnes' reply to your problem, I think he's probably
onto something, and he's right, it's serious, I'm in the same boat my-
self regarding frame rust on my TR-250...like yours,  a DPO welded plates
right over the swingarm brackets in an attempt to hold the rusty mess
together, and that's not the place for some novice with a stick-rod
buzz-box to practice welding.  You're very likely to get blow-thru and
worse than that, cold joints that *crack* under stress...such as the
added stress from stiffer springs!

My solution to my own situation is a nice, clean, rust-free complete
rolling chassis bought from a salvage yard (Ted Schumaker's TS Imports
in Pandora, Ohio--see Hemmings ads or phone for info, area code 419).
I have not made the big swap yet, but I'm just waiting for something
serious to bust, it's just a matter of time, the entire rear half of
my frame is beyond salvage.  Your prospects may be brighter, most likely
they are, but keep in mind that these frames are only bex-section sheet
metal (correction: box section) and once one or two sides of the box
get et up by rust, they just lose most all of their strength, and there's
just nothing left to weld to, either.

Good luck, and hope your rear hub/U-joint/half shaft are all OK too.
Tom Tweed
TR-250
Miami Valley Triumphs, 6-Pack
TR-6 R (650 cc)
SW Ohio

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951