Re: More on TR6 Rear End Sag (LONG!)

To: mike@ShoppersDrugMart.ca
Subject: Re: More on TR6 Rear End Sag (LONG!)
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 10:38:53 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Mike:
I am inclined to think that you have A Serious Problem. Take a very close
look at the box sections that connect the outer frame rails to the center
section, where the trailing arms mount. Use a straight-edge to check for
any bend or twist. Go so far as to bang on them with a hammer. If they are
soft, fix them by welding in reinforcing plates. It is too bad the DPO
welded the mounts in place. Another thing to look at is the upper spring
perch. The riser which has the mount for the diff. has outriggers that
locate the top of the springs. It is common for these to rip and allow the
springs to move vertically relative to the frame. This could account for
the extreme negative camber: remember that there is significant camber
change in bump in the suspension design. This is most likely the cause for
your sag, aggravated by the stiffer springs that want to transfer more
energy to the frame.

Regarding the clicking sound: I would take the half-shafts out of the
trailing arms (not a hard job, really) and carefully inspect the hubs and
outer U-joint. The only way to do this inspection properly is to remove the
parts from the car, as you can't see the outer joint in situ. Hope this is
of some help; let us know what you find.

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951