More on TR6 Rear End Sag (LONG!)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: More on TR6 Rear End Sag (LONG!)
From: mike@ShoppersDrugMart.ca
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 05:39:10 -0400
Encoding: 2488 Text
I've had a few replies, mostly related to springs, so let me clarify the
picture somewhat as I'm inclined to ignore the springs here...

1)  New Moss 'blue' uprated springs last year.  They are about a half inch
    shorter than stock springs, but harder.  When the car sits on them it
    is about a half inch higher than with the stock springs.  When they
    were first installed I thought the 'sag' problem was gone as the wheels
    were splaying less than 10 degress.

2)  Although the springs have about 5,000 miles on them, no cracks/good as
    new, the sag is more pronounced now than ever, about 20 degrees on the
    driver side, 15 on the passenger.  Springs aren't the problem here
    unless I'm missing something.

3)  When I bounce the driver side rear end by hand I hear a clicking sound
    from the hub area.  Difficult to pinpoint as the wheel must be on to do
    this.  When I jack up the car and slowly lower it the wheel clicks and
    appears to 'shudder' (sorry, best description I can come up with).
    After braking to a stop a similar click is heard as I pull away again,
    almost like rear brakes 'releasing' from a stuck position.  Brakes are
    ok.  Dampers are a bit soft but no leaks.  Driver side damper link has
    some wear around the ball joint but seems ok.

4)  There are wear marks on the lip of the wheel arch which is clearly at
    least 2 inches from the tire at rest.  Something is really out of whack
    for any part of the tire to hit the lip of the wheel arch!
    Alignment appears ok although the DPO has welded the trailing arm
    mounting brackets in place so changing alignment would be a major
    undertaking.  The trailing arm bushings are sound and the arms appear
    to be straight, that is, no apparent damage.

5)  U-joints were inspected last year and appeared ok... no excessive play.
    Differential is noisy and has some play which results in a clunk if I'm
    lazy on the clutch.

There... that's about all the details I can come up with... ideas?  As
always, any help is welcome... thanks!

*  Mike Himelfarb - '76 TR6  |  If it ain't broke, don't fix it...       *
*  Mike@ShoppersDrugMart.CA  |                                           *