Re: TR7 Windshield Wipers

To: jvr@informix.com
Subject: Re: TR7 Windshield Wipers
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 23:29:06 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>>When I turn off the windshield wipers they don't go back to their resting
>>spot. Any ideas why?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>jvr
>>
>>Jim Van Riper

Jim,

        I had the same problem with my '71 TR6. I got my trusty voltmeter
and checked continuity, shorts, correct voltages, etc. Everything seems OK.
I got
kind of confused about the limit switch that was diagrammed in my Bentley's.
Sooooo, I took apart the wiper motor and discovered that the limit switch
works by depressing a small plastic shaft which opens the circuit supplying
the 12V to the
wiper motor. On mine the plastic shaft was worn, so the +12V was always
feeding the
motor and never shutting off correctly. I bought a new part (about $30) from
Moss (By the way, they originally gave me the part for an MG - did NOT fit).
Well, after getting the right part, the wipers worked fine. BUT, the washers
didn't.
Whole 'nother story. One thing lead to another, and then the dash was out, so I
could replace the pipe I bent between the two wiper assemblies.

                        Good luck,
                        Jeff N.

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.