Re: TR Clutch-idle hold

To: PxA5%EngPpl%GS@go50.comp.pge.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR Clutch-idle hold
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 15:41:55 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-14 20:44:53 EDT, PxA5%EngPpl%GS@go50.comp.pge.com
writes:

>Dave-  I'm not too mechanically(car) inclined, but there isn't any leak per
>se.  Unless there's another type.  TRF said possibly the thrust washers are
>out and when depressing the clutch engine still thinks it's still engaged
and

>shutsoff!?  Your thoughts?  If you don't agree what is it that I need to
>rebuild? Thanks.
>
>Pouya

Thrust washers are serious business.  Replacement requires removing the pan.
 Usually when the thrust washers go bad the crank rubs the bearing caps and
some serious reuild is required.

To test the thrust washers get a big screwdriver and pry on the harmonic
balancer (the pully on the front of the engine) back and forth (toward the
front and rear of the car).  if the crankshaft moves noticably then you have
bad thrust washers.  Start thinking about an engine rebuild.

My original thought was that as the clutch was depressed the clutch would
disengage but as you hold the clutch pedal down with the car in gear the
clutch would leak down and slowly re-engage the clutch stalling the engine.
 A small leak may be hard to find, and the fluid could leak back into the
reservoir causing no loss of fluid but you would still have a loss of fluid
pressure.  If this is the case then you are in luck.  A rebuild of the clutch
hydraulics is all that is required.
Lets hope that this is all you need.  Good luck.

Dave
TR6Massey@aol.com