Re: TR clutch-idle hold

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR clutch-idle hold
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 17:14:31 -0400
Pouya,
Sorry about the delay getting back to you, I had a good note all typed
and then sent it to micro-magnetic hell by mistake, I'm still a baby
turtle caught on the fast lane of this info highway.

All the problems you describe sound like symptoms of the clutch linkage
failing to separate the clutch/flywheel by any more than a whisker, and
since you said that you had a complete engine / trans rebuild, I'm as-
suming that you got new thrust washers on the crankshaft as well as  a new
clutch plate and throw-out (release) bearing. You mentioned a PO for the
work, I don't know what that is, but check your receipts to confirm that
you did get all the above new parts.  Re-assembling the eng/trans with
the old clutch between would have been very unlikely, but possible.

Something else to check for would be mechanical slop in the linkage, IF
your master/slave hydraulics are all perfect.  If for example the bracket
holding the slave cylinder is loose, it could `steal' movement from the
clutch release lever--likewise for the pedal linkage.  Have you tried
bleeding the slave cylinder, to purge any air (and water) that may have
accumulated?  Usually you'll see some solid specks come out too, like
the doctors from centuries past recommended, an occasional bleeding is
a good thing for all LBC hydraulics.

Good luck, and keep the rubber side down

Tom Tweed
TR-250
Miami Valley Triumphs, 6-Pack
SW Ohio