Re: Valve Cover Color

To: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Cover Color
From: Killjoy <killjoy@norden1.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 00:27:13 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ralph Jannelli wrote:

> >Today, I have two very simple questions:
> >
> >       What color were the valve covers on Mk2 Spitfires?
> >
> >Under a thick layer of crud, I've found gold paint.  Somehow, this
> >doesn't seem right to me.

::snip::

> Michael -The color of the valve covers is a sort of bronze color. the
> closest match is a GM color 7147 Camel. You can buy it in any auto store
> stocking touch-up paint.

::snip::

Ralph, thanks for the tip...  I've found a paint I'm considering at
Western Auto.   It is Dupli-Color #DE-1604, a "Universal Gold Engine
Enamel."  Is the GM color you mention metallic?  Is it "engine paint?"
Will it matter on a valve cover?

I guess that back in the sixties, a metallic gold valve cover was worth
another two or three horsepower, wouldn't you say?  ;-)   I'm still
trying to decide if that's going back to the original color.

What color was original on the block and the head?  The oil pan?  The
valve guides were left bare metal, weren't they?

I'm considering doing the car in a "Lego" theme, with each part being a
primary color, in sort of a semi random mix.  This is unlikely...  I
guess it depends on what kind of mood I'm in on the day I buy the first
can of paint.

Michael Turley
killjoy@norden1.com
'67 Spitfire Mk2