Setbacks

To: aab@autox.team.net, mjb@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Setbacks
From: "R.M. Bownes III" <bownes@emi.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:54:15 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You know just when you think you've got it all back together....

As ya'll know, I got hit by a rather nasty infection that kept me
from wrenching for the better part of a month, at the height of the season...

Well, I finally got the IV out of my arm two weeks ago and promptly went
to work getting the TR-6 back on the road.

        And discovered it needed an oil pump - not a big surprise, but painfull.

So, I ordered up an oil pump (due today) and figured I'd get to work on
the Spit in the meanwhile. Got the $$ out of the bank to bail out my crank
and flywheel,

        And got sent out of town for three days.

So I figured I get the head on the TR-6 while I waited for an oil pump over
the weekend. But in the meanwhile, the spousal unit has arranged for us

        To take the flatbed to her mother's Friday night and Saturday

Albeit for a good purpose, to pick up a Spit that her stepfather had bought.
So I spent Saturday getting a Spit that had not run in 14 years back to
functional. A Good Thing. But Sunday was shot with other needed houshold chores.

So, I figured I'd work on it evenings during the week, but again, work
intervened, as does other societal obligations (I'm the producer for a play
which opens in three weeks...) So, I figured I'd work on it over the weekend
again.

        Forgetting that I had to go to New Jersey on saturday and a club picnic
                at my house Sunday.

So, last night I wandered out to the garage to finally get the head back on the
TR-6. I finished cleaning up the head and the block, then figured I'd pull the
tappets and drain any suspect oil out of them. Bad Move

        Six tappets are not reusable due to bad faces (the cam is fine)

So now I have to hope that I have six good tappets in stock down at the garage,
otherwise I am going to have to order up a dozen. I should have enough, but
it is a pain in the butt.

        I was going to put it all back together tonight and drive it tomorrow,
but now I just don't know...Sigh. I want my car back....

        But it will be back by the weekend. Then I get to work on getting the
Spit back together...And replace the bearings in the GT.

        But in the meanwhile, I've put a few pictures of the race car online.
They can be found lurking off my home page @

http://www.emi.com/~bownes/30over.html

Enjoy!
iii