TR3/4 Brake restrictor valves

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3/4 Brake restrictor valves
From: Paul Thompson <paul@btcase.bt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 95 14:35:00 BST
I'm just in the process of giving the brakes on my TR4 an overhaul.
I've refurbished the calipers and fitted new hoses. My next step will
be fitting new pipes, and seals to the wheel cylinders. I've collected
all the parts I need together apart from a "restrictor valve"; nobody
has any in stock and there don't seem to be plans to remanufacure them.
So my query is has anyone had the same problem and what can be done to
fix them?

I'm not really sure I could tell if it isn't working properly is there
any way of telling, what happens when they fail? I have been told that
some people remove them altogether, is this wise? What effect does it
have?

Although the brakes are working very effectivly they do feel a bit odd.
When first starting the car up, after at least 2 hours, the pedal needs
one or two pumps to bring it right up. After that the pedal travel is
small with quite a hard feel. After applying the brakes there is a
slight resistance then the hard feel as the pads hit the discs, on a second
application soon after the initial slight resistance is not there but
there is the hard pedal in the same place. There is a slight pressure
from the pads on the discs at all times which seems to indicate that the
restrictor valve is working, this pressure is slightly more than I have
experienced on cars without this valve fitted.

Any comments?

Paul.