Re: adjusting valves...

To: "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@cortex.rad.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: adjusting valves...
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 20:52:37 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Jon Moody (BME) wrote:

>  I am looking for any tips/recommendations on the best way
> to do this. <<Adjust valves that is>>

Jon,
        From my World Wide Web repair_procedures page:
_________________http://scs411.csc.wsu.edu/~meboe/___________________________________________________
Valves

     Setting valve clearances on a pushrod engine.

   For adjusting valves easily and quickly, with no rhymes to
remember, here's a method I've used with good success.

#1, pull all the plugs.  This will greatly simplify turning
      the engine over by hand. Unless your car is tired. :-(
#2, pull the valve cover and loosen all of the valve
      adjuster nuts a flat or two.
#3, rotate the engine by hand until any valve(s) is fully
      open, and adjust the clearance on the neighboring vavle(s)
      in the same cylinder(s).  Adjust the clearance so that the
      feeler gauge offers a small but noticeable resistance
      when you try to remove it.

   You'll have to turn the engine over two times to get all of
the valves.  You'll know that you're done when none of the adjusters are
loose anymore.

     It's easy and fun and shouldn't take more than 20 minutes, well, 25
minutes on a six.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6