Re: Spit tyres

To: "Jay Pudvin" <pudvin@VNET.IBM.COM>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit tyres
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 09:31:48 -0400 "Spit tyres" (Aug 18, 8:26am)
> Subject: Spit tyres
>
> To ride on the 'TR6 Tires' thread,  what's the de facto or tire du jour for
late Spit 1500s?
> I'm guessing a 70 series would work well on the stock rims - maybe in a 175mm
width.
> If Minilite's are used, it seems like the standard-fit wheel is a 13x5.  I
suppose there's
> not much more room for larger diameters or strange offsets given the size of
the wheel
> well (and the swing-axle rear wheel travel - currently at negative camber).
 What would
> be recommended optimum rim size, offset, and tire size for use on a road car?
>
> Cheers/TIA
> Jay Pudvin
> Wakulla, Florida
> '77 Spit 1500 BRG
>-- End of excerpt from Jay Pudvin

Jay,

I have 175/70-13 on 5.5 inch rims. Fit with no problems under the
Spit. I also have slicks mounted on 6 inch rims. They also fit, but
keep in mind that the overall diameter of the slicks is much smaller
than the normal tire. I have seen 205/60-13 on 5.5 and 6 inch rims,
but these tend to foul the steering depending on offset. The 5.5
inchers that I have, the offset is inceased by 1/4 inch on the
inside, and 3/4 inch on the outside. I have also seen a Spit with
TR7 wheels on it, but I am not sure what the width is on these rims.
I am also not sure if the studs are correctly lined up or if someone
had to grind out the holes.

One of the problems with plus 1 and plus 2 on the Spitfire is that the
bolt pattern is strange. The only cars that used the 3 3/4 bolt circle
are the Spit, GT6, a couple of Loti, and some early Formula Fords. Most
of these cars used either the Spit or GT6 spindles. As you can imagine,
the choice is rather limited. Even for after market wheels in 13 inch
sizes.

Doug Mitchell