Re: TR3 water pump rebuild kit

To: Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU
Subject: Re: TR3 water pump rebuild kit
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 15:36:35 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 7 Jul 1995 Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU wrote:

> rebuild kit from a Massey Ferguson tractor dealer.  I called a dealer in
> Florida and he's working on it but he asked what model engine I had and I
> told him I could only give him an engine number.  Anyway I described the
> engine to him and he said it sure sounded like a tractor engine.  But another
> dealer I called wanted to know what engine - Continental or Perkins - was
> used (???).  She said Massey Ferguson used these engine brands in their
> tractors - she couldn't help me any further.
>
> Can you or anyone else shed a little more light on this?

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen these tractors referred to as Massey-Harris
and as Ferguson as well as Massey Ferguson. I'm not quite sure what
name properly applies to the tractors equipped with the Standard-built
wet-liner four cylinder -- same family as the Standard Vanguard/TR
engine -- as I'm nowhere near my Triumph or other books at the moment.

If I remember correctly, the Continental is a proprietary American
engine also used by a number of the "independent" automakers in this
country over the years, while Perkins is primarily British (?) and
mostly a maker of diesel (?) engines. Either would have been a logical
choice for a tractor motor; neither is related to the TR motor.

Is there a tractor fan/historian on the list?

Additional Oblig. Tractor Content: I drive by an abandoned Massey-Harris
tractor every day, but I never get to stop and see what engine it has!

Andy Mace