Re: TR6 differential mounts

Subject: Re: TR6 differential mounts
From: "Riggs, R. (Kevin)" <rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 95 16:18:00 CDT
Cc: "'Jeff Wagner'" <jw3@umail.umd.edu>
Encoding: 49 TEXT
Ken Streeter writes:

> I find myself in much the same position, although my sound is very much
like a
> "click" rather than a "clunk."

> looked, probed, pulled, twisted, and bonked.  I didn't find more than
1/16" of
> play in any of the U-joints, or on the diff mounts.

I wouldn't want to find any play that I could invoke by hand in any of these
areas.  I'm an alarmist at heart, and I suppose a little is OK.  But if
you're hearing noises and you're not *sure* of the component's history, I'd
put replacement/reconditioning high on my to-do list.

On the other hand, a couple of years ago I kept hearing an annoying clicking
coming from my front-right wheel.  I'd had the wheels off the car a couple
of weeks earlier and noticed that the springs in the plastic wheel insert
were worn out, and I assumed that one of these had come loose and was
rattling around.  I finally got around to checking, and first discovered to
my horror that the lug nuts were all only finger-tight on all 4 wheels.  My
face is still red.  But that didn't fix the noise.  So I pulled off the
plastic insignia in the offending wheel, and sure enough, a spring had
popped out and was captured beneath the plastic.

In a rear wheel, I might also suspect a brake component: a shoe dragging, a
loose or broken return spring, or perhaps a bit of dirt in the drum.

I've always experience bearing trouble as a rumbling noise, but I wouldn't
put the bearing assembly out of my search path.

I can't imagine noises coming from the differential mounts except under
transitions in the load carried by the drivetrain--never a continuous noise.
 However, I have nightmares about all the rotating parts in my tired, old
differential, and I dread the day it starts making noises.

> PS:  I don't know what it is, but I get a little unsettled while being
under
> the rear end of the TR6 in a way that I never do under the engine...
 Anybody
> else notice this wierd kind of claustrophobia?

I've always called that common sense.  I find it reassuring.

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6
rkriggs@ingr.com
Huntsville, AL