RE: Idle Speed

To: TRIUMPHS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: RE: Idle Speed
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 11:35:10 -0700 (MST)
Offline, Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil> replied:

> Surely Dan, if one of the floats are stuck closed, and no fuel is
> getting thru for three of the cylinders, they won't be firing at all,
> and it will be very difficult for the engine to even run, let alone
> idle too fast??

You'd think so, wouldn't you?  My only explanation is the balance
connection in the intake manifold; arguably enough fuel/air
mixing went on in the manifold itself to get some fuel from the
rear carb into the front 3 cylinders.  At any rate my engine
would stammer and cough until I adjusted the idle to about 2000,
at which point it seemed to run ok.  When I opened up the carbs
the front one was bone dry with a decidedly stuck float valve.
Unsticking it fixed the problem and I was able to get the idle to
the book value of 650 rpm without any trouble.

Warning, bad ASCII art ahead.

       (dry     (wet
       carb)    carb)
   1   2   3   4   5   6
 <--leaner------richer-->

If you're using those performance intake pipes without a
balance tube I can see why you'd expect 3 completely dead
cylinders, as opposed to something likr this.

- Dan