Re: TR6 springs

To: cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Subject: Re: TR6 springs
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 95 15:34:42 EDT
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net (British-Cars), triumphs@autox.team.net
        Thanks for the quick responses.  Having just looked at it with the
new tires on it, the effect isn't as large as it seemed to be this morning,
but it's definitely higher off the tires in the front.  I'll measure it
tonight after I get it back (they didn't reset the camber, so it was back to
the alignment bay).

>Don't know about your TR6, but I suspect that since it's an early one, the
>front geometry is the same as my late 4A. I have the red BPNW springs on all
>four corners and am very happy with them. Ride height (to the frame at the
>suspension pickup points) is about 5" front and 5.5" rear

        These were all-black, no markings.  Probably 50% more turns than stock,
maybe 1/2-1" longer free length (but the originals probably have 150K on them).
I bought them 4 years ago, so who knows if they'd still be able to tell me
anything.

> on 165-15 tires.
        And I thought 185-15's were skinny... :-)  The new 205/70 A378's look
pretty good on the '6.  We'll see if they rub at lock... (cross fingers)

>I still can't get negative camber up front, but it's due to an entirely
>different problem (seriously bunged up lower A arm mount that I'll have to fix
>some day).

        The alignment shop didn't even want to consider setting the rear
alignment.  I'll have to see what the figures are when I get it back - they
didn't seem too worried about it though the toe was out, so it's probably not
too bad.  On the front I had LOTS of toe-in (more than .5").  Cambers were 1.1
and 1.4 positive; they think they can get it down to about 0, maybe .5 positive
on the right side, without using too many shims.  Stock is .25 +-1 positive,
car unloaded (you get about .5 more negative loaded).  I think Competition
manual settings are around .5-1 negative, but I can't find my copy. :-(

        The wierd part is that the right front, which was damaged (PO hit a
curb HARD) and repaired (rewelded mount, I replaced a-arms and upright/etc),
is OK on caster (2.75), but the left-front, which was never hit, is about 0.
They thought it should pull left, but the test-drive apparently didn't show
a serious problem.  Wierd.  Not adjustable, either.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com