Re: TR6 Oil Pressure

To: TinyHost@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Pressure
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 95 23:36:29 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>>25-30 lbs idle is the low end of what I'd like to see. You said you're
>>running 10W-40; you might try 20W50, which will thin less when hot and
>>probably keep the pressures up.
>
>But what will that do to the pressure when cold? It's already at 90+,
>how high can it go and still stay in the engine? <g>

        TR6's have a ~100psi pressure-relief.  Some other lbc's use lower
values (A-series engines are usually 60psi).  90+ cold is fairly typical,
the interesting values are warm at speed and idle.  For reference, my '70 TR6,
which says 58K miles but I think is 158K, and might have had an engine
rebuild (no reason to think that other than 158K is a lot of miles), and
gets 100psi cold, 70 psi warm at speed, 40-50 psi warm idle, 30-40 psi
hot summer stuck-in-traffic idle.

        BTW, I think I'm going to have to quit triumphs unless we can get
a digest version.  I'm being SWAMPED in the mail.  I'd forgotten what it's
like to be on a non-digest list.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com