Re: TR3 Rear Hub Removal

To: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>, rcbrown@ixcim.att.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Rear Hub Removal
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 95 07:19:53 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On May 3, 10:54pm, John Wroclawski wrote:

>    Broke a stud off of the hub! Still seemed simple, remove hub and weld
>    the stud back in place.
>
> Waittaminute. Weld it? This is a wheel stud? Punch the old one out and
> replace it with a new one. They're certainly not hard to get.

Nope, sorry; TR-3's and TR-4's are unusual in having rear wheel
studs that screw in from the front and are then peened over
from the back.  Please do not weld them in place - I've just
recently gone through the joys of removing broken studs that
had been welded in place; its not fun, although the machine
shop liked getting the check...

The easiest way to replace the studs may actually be to remove
the axle (John W. did a good job describing the basics of the
operation - its actually easier than I thought it would be), and
then have a machine shop press off the hub, if it really needs
to come off.  With the axles out of the car, its pretty easy to
get to the backs of the studs, so the hub may not need to be
separated from the axle unless you need to replace the grease
seal or the bearing while you're there anyway.

later,
John

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU