Re: Valve Covers...On Ebay...

To: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Valve Covers...On Ebay...
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:29:08 -0700
Paul,

Those are nice looking COBRA (by Shelby) valve covers.  The ones sold by
Rootes Group, as a LAT option, said TIGER.  The words "Powered by Ford"
were removed when Chrysler started adding Pentastars to the fenders.  If
a dealer were to install ANYTHING other than the Rootes authorized and
supplied hardware accessory, it would not be Sunbeam Tiger authentic,
but may be Joe's Foreign Car Sales "standard".  "Dealer Original" does
not carry much weight on my scales, other than esthetic.  Factory
Authorized Accessory, as shown in the published Rootes Brochures of
dealer supplied options (on TigersUnited.com) are sold by Rootes (US) to
dealers, and described in the catalog.  Other LAT accessories were only
available through special order, or installed by the Los Angeles, or
Long Island importer in his facility.  Most dress items, easily dealer
installed, were sold as profit generators through dealers.  The cover
letters from Rootes to the dealers (shown on TigersUnited.com, along
with dealer costs) explicitly encourage these for profit generation.

For most people, "authentic" and "original" refer to what was offered by
the manufacturer from either the factory or point of sale.  Clearly the
dealer addition of a fox tail on a radio antenna does not make it an
"original" factory option.

Thanks for the link, though. I had not seen what COBRA used, and did not
recall a need for grinding fins for firewall clearance at additional
costs.  Perhaps these are repops modified to sell to others who do not
know the difference.

Steve

--
-----