Re: >>NASS GT6 driveshaft out of phase? now Rotoflex rear hub

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Subject: Re: >>NASS GT6 driveshaft out of phase? now Rotoflex rear hub
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:41:53 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/2006 1:12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ZoboHerald@aol.com writes:

> Any tricks of the trade, shortcuts or other tips for replacing the
> bearings?
> (Yes, I do have the workshop manual, so I know what's involved.)  Thanks in
> advance for any advice.

Andy,
All I can do is offer up morale support.  I went thru all of this a month ago
on the 68 GT6+ restoration.  Well, not actually I since I found myself way
over my head when I discovered that you need a special tool just to remove the
axles.  The one man Band restorer who worked on it for me fashioned that one
himself.  Then we discover that a special tool is required to set the bearing
end float properly.  Oh yeah?  What's that?  An old timer GT6+ guy in our club
just ranted about that, said he had it somewhere but never could produce it for
us.  He warned that if that tool was not used you risk breaking up the
bearings very quickly and taking out the whole assembly.  Fact is that the new
bearings first installed were showing signs of wear once we got into it.  Since
no
tool could be found we installed another set of new bearings and carefully
monitored them for any signs of heat build up or unusual noises for the first
200
miles or so.  I even ran it jacked up with support under the assemblies for
like a 1/2 hour to see if anything was getting hot.

End result was SWEET!  The GT now runs terrific without any noise or
vibration. This Guy can do it for you if you can get it to Ohio, now that he is
all
educated by fixing my car.  Pretty cheap too @ $35.00/hr.

Good Luck,
Darrell