Re: Oil Pan Plug

To: Spitfire list <spitfires@autox.team.net>, cat_tail@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pan Plug
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:44:51 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I found out totally by accident that
there are different type of tapered pipe threads,
NPT, and BSPT.  To quote some Web site:

British taper pipe threads (BSPT) and American pipe
threads (NPT/NPTF) have some similarities and some
differences, but there are two sizes, 3 /4, that are
difficult to distinguish with the naked eye. The two
have the same nominal size and pitch, and sometimes
can be differentiated only through deductive
reasoning.

So I probably used the wrong type of oil plug.
In its size, the American and British pipe threads
have the same diameter and thread pitch, so the
difference must be in something more subtle liek
the angle of the threads.

Anyway, before I change the oil again, I'll get
a genuine British plug.  I good industrial
supply house like McMaster sells both NPT and BSPT
fittings.  But since I change the oil once a year,
I'm not going to worry about it right away...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org