Re: Autobody and Paint

To: vmichael@vmedge.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Autobody and Paint
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:26:00 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Michael <vmichael@vmedge.com>

First, I hope you have all been well - whether you recognize my name or
not! :) - and that you have been enjoying your Spits!

==AM==
Welcome back, Victor!
==AM==

...I have an opportunity to have my Spit partially stripped, body
worked on, and painted. I can honestly say that I have NO IDEA what
this should cost. I have an estimate of $3,500...Before answering, I
would like to point out that I'm sort of on the fence about restoring
this '77 Spit (to the chassis, anyway) and each time I consider even
getting it painted, this thought echos in my head - "Can't I buy a
virtually fully restored Spit for about $8,000?!"...

If I'm keeping this car, I want to be proud to drive it (for a
reasonable cost) and if I'm JUST getting the outside done, why not pay
$ x.xx more and have it last awhile.

==AM==
Why not, indeed? Sure, you can spend $8,000 or more for a "virtually
fully restored Spit" any day of the week. But how will you know what's
REALLY been done? :-) This way, you'll a: know exactly what has (and/or
has not) been done; and b: you'll have something that, with good care,
will last and last.

Since you'll be down to the chassis, it's a great time to renew any
suspect bushings, etc.

Do it! (See how easily I can spend...I mean, help you save YOUR money?
:-) )

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>

===     http://www.vtr.org