Autobody and Paint

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Autobody and Paint
From: "Victor Michael" <vmichael@vmedge.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:00:12 -0500
WOW - greetings all! Long long time.
I have been gone for quite some time but have returned to pick your
brains!

First, I hope you have all been well - whether you recognize my name or
not! :) - and that you have been enjoying your Spits!

I would like to pose this question: I have an opportunity to have my
Spit partially stripped, body worked on, and painted. I can honestly say
that I have NO IDEA what this should cost. I have an estimate of $3,500
- however, this is for an external job (no cockpit/boot) only and ON the
chassis. It WOULD include the underside of the bonnet. This guy is
standup and I believe he does good work. He also offered to do the
chassis if I put some work into getting the car off the chassis, which
is a decent gesture. Is this a reasonable price?

Before answering, I would like to point out that I'm sort of on the
fence about restoring this '77 Spit (to the chassis, anyway) and each
time I consider even getting it painted, this thought echos in my head -
"Can't I buy a virtually fully restored Spit for about $8,000?!"

There is no major body damage or rust, by the way. Just a really bad
carmine red, chipping paint job on the tub and an okay BRG bonnet. :)

So, I'm not sure how much would be worth putting into this poor
neglected Spit. I've done all the "soul searching" I care to. If I'm
keeping this car, I want to be proud to drive it (for a reasonable cost)
and if I'm JUST getting the outside done, why not pay $ x.xx more and
have it last awhile.

Help me out here? I appreciate it!

Victor Michael
'77 Spit