Timing problem.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing problem.
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 17:02:05 -0700
Ok, this is actually on a friends Midget - same 1500cc engine as my
Spitfire. We have set the timing before ( last year) when tuning and all
was well then. He has had to do a rebuild and for some reason the car
now needs to be set about 40 degrees advance at idle. range is 40 - 80
degrees advance through the engine range. So we know the mechanical and
vacuum advance is fine. It actually runs smooth and idles OK, but I have
never seen this before.

We did a mechanical check using the valve positions and looking in the
cylinder for the piston for TDC and sure enough it pops up right at the
zero timing mark, so that is all OK. Everything was put back together as
per the book ( i.e aligning the cam and crank marks etc.)

He has hit the midget list but nobody has seen this. Since it's the same
engine and is more a generic type problem I thought I would see if
anyone on this list has an idea or seen this before.

Thanks,

Alan

===     http://www.vtr.org