Perma-fix for loose OD gearshift knob?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: Perma-fix for loose OD gearshift knob?
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:51:21 +0000
This seems to be happening every 2 months, on the dot.

The overdrive gearshift knob loosens up. When the final loosening happens, I
have to once again prise off the cover, and then awkwardly screw on the nut. A
bit difficult since it's just those 2 notches you can screw on.

I tried making a washer for it to fit underneath(under the main nut, inside the
knob), but gave up after countless filing. Probably would have been too thick
anyway.

Anyone know of a perma-fix? The loctite did not seem to help. Should I try some
sort of crude washer again, or file-down an old screwdriver to make a
specialized tool? I'm surprised Victoria British hasn't made one for $39.95.

Wow, still driving the Spitfire(with the top up) in October, in Minnesota no
less!

--
http://infaux.net

===     http://www.vtr.org