Info and thoughts on engine and rocker cover colours

To: "Team.net Spit list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Info and thoughts on engine and rocker cover colours
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:29:58 -0700
Hi all.
I'm seeking info and thoughts on what pleased or dis-pleases you about
engine colours, and rocker cover colours.
The situation is that the engine of my 78 summer driver is gently giving up
the ghost. Emissions tests have become progressively worse, and it has now
sprung quite a prolific oil leak between the block and head (how can that
happen?).
So, I have an engine in what looks to be turning into the parts car for
which it was originally bought. It ran strong last time it was used, a while
(several years, but who's counting) ago. It is going to replace the engine
in the driver. With the engine removed, this would be a great time to clean
and paint, before installing it.

The questions is, what colour? Stock is black, but is it gloss or matte? The
car is a 78, JMA blue, and the present rocker cover colour is red, almost
fire engine red. Anyone used different colour (readily accessible, Canadian
Tire or Lordco would be great) and been very pleased with the results? Ford
Blue is accessible, but may clash, and I'm quite free to admit I don't have
much "colour sense", hence the question to the lists. As well, the car is
quite stock, so originality is a bit of an issue, but only one aspect.
(BTW, the engine is an SS unit, so not a huge issue if its original engine
doesn't go back in, as I understand that is the code for a factory
replacement.)

I'm also interested in opinions, experiences and techniques for refinishing
the alternator and mounting brackets. Fairly major corrosion, and if just
buffed, don't they just corrode again?

Many thanks for all opinions

Nick Moseley
76 77 78 79 81 Spits, in various states
Happy BC Day on Monday, to those in the province, woohoo its a long weekend