POR-15 Experience

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: POR-15 Experience
From: "Paul Grafelman" <pdgrafelman@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:18:11 +0000
List,

After several weeks of slowly stripping the paint from my frame, I was
finally able to paint it this weekend with POR-15. I am very satified with
the results, but I learned a few things too that I wanted to pass along.

1. If at all possible, paint the whole item in one session. I painted the
top and sides the first day, then flipped it over and painted the bottom the
next day. Because the paint flows so well (to hide brush marks) it tends to
sag and drip on the bottom of the piece. Painting top and bottom at one time
would allow you to brush these drips out.

2. It it probably easier to paint if it's warm - the paint thickened up a
little more than I would have liked, but still went on ok.

3. Make sure have more than adequate ventilation - I tried leaving the
garage door open only a few inches (due to the cold) but ended up opening it
wide - very strong smelling and dangerous fumes, according to the mfgr.

4. A Quart is a little bit more than needed for a Spit frame (when brushed
on).

Here are some before pics - the before are after the frame was cleaned and
sprayed with 'Metal Ready' to etch the surface.

You can probably tell that it was brushed on - I'd like to see a pic of
results after spraying, if anyone has any.

http://www.owatonnacomputerservices.com/images/DSC00668.JPG
http://www.owatonnacomputerservices.com/images/DSC00669.JPG
http://www.owatonnacomputerservices.com/images/DSC00672.JPG
http://www.owatonnacomputerservices.com/images/DSC00673.JPG

Over all I am very happy with the results. It sure seems durable to me,
although I can't comment on the rust-proof claims yet.

Paul Grafelman