zerks

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: zerks
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:16:39 -0600
 I spent the last couple of days at my neighbors shop. He has a 20 ton press
and a big solid bench vise. He has a lot more I wish I had, but I thought the
press would work fine to change out all the u-joints. He is retired, had a
construction company. His retired, machinist for Cessna, friend was down from
Wichita. Anyway, Friday they did everything. I was just giving them axles and
the driveshaft and trying to say this is crooked or whatever without offending
anybody.

 When it got dark friday, my neighbor had bent the driveshaft fork all to
hell, getting the u-joint out. He went to take care of some business. I
thought thank god, I can finish this up myself, but his friend decided to stay
and help me with the axles. When Everitt got back he FIXED the driveshaft fork
by driving an old cap through the dinged up hole.

 I went over today  with some pipe and stuff, to make a stand for my big bench
vise. When he said what do you want to me to do, I said weld up this vise
stand and I will work on the u-joints. I got a nice vise stand but the
u-joints suck.

 I used NAPA u-joints in the axles. the grease nipple is LONG and inhibits
movement of the joint. I had one Hardy-Spicer u-joint for the driveshaft. I
think the screwed up fork will wear out the u-joint very quickly.

 I have the grease zerks pointed to the axle and in the recess on the
driveshaft, but all the zerks are to damn long and no plugs were provided.

 Can I make this better? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry