Clutch problems?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch problems?
From: MKCASPIAN1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:59:44 EDT
Hello fellow spitfire owners.
Well, the clutch acts funny.  Seems troublesome getting into gear. Pedal
feels soft, but pumps up just like the brake pedal would when pumped.  Clutch
enengages really close to the floor, very noticibly so, until you pump the
pedal a
couple of time.  Then all seems normal for a while.  I realize it is an
hydraulic system.  The master cylinder reservoir is filled to the brim, and
there
is no signs of any fluid leaks on the floor.  Is the problem in the master
cylinder?  The sleve cylinder? Both?  Does bleeding need to take place?  We
have
had the car about 3 years with no problems with the clutch.

John Flynn
78 Spitfire